Contact

Join the List

design tips, free printables, etc.

  • White LinkedIn Icon
  • White Instagram Icon
  • White Pinterest Icon

Amazon Dot

Redesigning the Echo Dot app according to customer pain points.

Role

Product designer+ UX researcher

Methods + Tools

User research, product audit, satisfaction analysis, proto-personas, empathy map, paper prototype.

Overview

Date

January 2019 - May 2019

Team Members

Ellie Hoyt (Design + Research)

Jade Longhurst (Design + Research)

Maurina Davis (Research)

Caden Damiano (Research)

Eric Weiss (Research)

In March 2016, Amazon announced a hockey puck-sized version of the Amazon Echo. The Echo Dot is one of Amazon’s voice assistants that helps you with daily tasks. My team and I were challenged to explore the functionality and features of the Dot while also doing research to find a problem area with the device.

The Problem

During our research, we dove into reviews to pinpoint some customer pain points with the Dot. One specific review helped us identify a problem that we hadn’t observed prior - the onboarding process.

Understanding the Dot

As a team, we defined some key design principles to help us set the expectations for the project. There was a reminder throughout the Sprints to keep us on the correct course for what we wanted to accomplish.

Having Empathy for Customers

To find pain points with the Dot we did a satisfaction analysis and looked through hundreds of reviews to gather information. One review of the ones we reviewed stuck out to our group.

Identifying the Problems

This review helped us isolate which part of the Dot we wanted to redesign. We were able to find three main issues with the product form this single review.

Proto-Personas

Together we did a team exercise to compare and contrast other smart speakers. We brainstormed for an hour on a whiteboard and created seven different personas for Amazon customers. When doing this we used specific phrases for example for needs and wants we used I want to, I have to, or I need to. I then took our team data and made an organized chart for us to evaluate.

Our Target Audience

We took one photo-persona and developed him into more detail as a persona. Then we worked as a team using customer empathy maps to find our more about James. Our final discovery phase was doing a customer journey map of how James would be using the speaker.

The Solution

After three iterations we landed on a solution. From our first to last iteration we made many minor changes that helped greatly influence the final product.

Things I Learned

1. Not every project is a full design website or app.

2. Have open communication with your team.

3. Trust your customers.