Contact

Join the List

design tips, free printables, etc.

  • White LinkedIn Icon
  • White Instagram Icon
  • White Pinterest Icon

Megaplex Theatres

Understanding a growing audience

with usability testing.

Role

UX designer + Project manager

Methods + Tools

Competitive Analysis, Personas, Usability Tests, Journey Map, Sketch, and Invision

Date

January 2019 - April 2019

Team Members

Colten Whatcott (Research)

 Ashley Stephenson (Research + Design)

 Brandon Leavitt (Designer)

Overview

Megaplex came to us with a few problems regarding their website. One of the main issues they were having was the site was outdated and needed an update. My team and I pivoted focused on delivering research to motivate our design decisions. 

The Problem

The client has a highly visited website that is unresponsive amongst different devices. 

Laying out the timeline

I created a scope for our team to help us stay on task, and to delegate different parts of the research and design process.

Content Audit

For one of our first research tasks, my team member Ashley completed a thorough content audit. This helped our team see which areas of the website

we wanted to test and where dead links were.

Identifying Important Design Principles

After looking over the content audit we performed a competitive analysis.

We felt the Megaplex brand could improve not only visually but the functionality of the website. Our team came up with design principles to focus on for the project.

One of the main things I observed from the website was there were a lot of pages and navigation. It felt overwhelming amongst sub-menus to find what I needed.  Using progressive disclosure can help show the customer only what they need to see.

Understanding our Audience

Three team members (including myself) were in charge of creating one persona.

We made assumptions and did some research on ages of movie attenders,

wants and needs of Megaplex's audience, and more. Below is one of our persona's Christy.

Validate the Design

Part of my role on the project was to run a usability test and understand the data to help our team make better design decisions. Before looking at subtracting features or changing the menu I found it important to test. The client has a very large audience of people using the website so I didn't want to do something potentially damaging by making a quick change.

I created a script for each of my team members to run the test. I wanted to make it as non-invasive as possible for the test subjects. We used their personal devices and recorded screens and audio. These are some of the assumptions I had before the test was finished.

Testing Scenarios

Exploring the website on my own I found areas where I struggled to complete a task. I included areas where I thought our entire audience would use the site, and others specifically tailored to our personas. For example not everyone who goes to Megaplex uses the best picture pass so not all test subjects used that scenario.

These are three of the 6 different testing scenarios we used. We tested 6 people from different age ranges.

Our Results

I watched videos and went through notes of everyone’s testing to find common wins or failures. We tested 6 test subjects both male and female over the age span of teenagers to middle-aged adults - I labeled them in the subject key by color so you can identify who is who. From our scenarios, we were able to identify a few common problem patterns. 

What we Found

From our results, I found that our purple Male was usually an outlier in the testing process. After talking with Ryan the director of digital strategy at Megaplex, I also recognized we had made a huge mistake by missing an older testing audience. We used the same scenarios and tested an audience of 50 and above.

Site Map Revision

Using chunking and results from testing we condensed the site map so that the more important or frequently used items like purchasing tickets would be moved to the front. Secondary items like renting a movie theatre for a private event would still be included but in a condensed menu.

Wireframes

We designed 5 different pages for Megaplex, I wireframed locations and gift card and another member of my team Ashley wireframed the remaining 3. We communicated and shared the same document of what we wanted for the vision so that our next step the surface comps would have the same look.

Surface Comps

Ashley and I completed the final designs. We focused on creating an updated site that could be transitioned amongst all devices. You can view our prototype here

Final Solution

We used the same testing scenarios as the first round of testing. When we re-tested using our designs we found people were able to location information faster than before. 

Things I Learned

  1. Teamwork makes the dream work (seriously).

  2. Sometimes when you think you’re right, you’re wrong.

  3. Being consistent can be difficult.